Back to Main Course List
Mediator Certification Course
World's leading resource for workplace mediation training and certification
View today's ranking on Google
Mediation Training Institute International, the premier provider of workplace mediation training worldwide, offers training for corporate and government agency professionals who are responsible for effective resolution of workplace disputes and prevention of litigation. External consultants, attorneys, and other professionals welcome. Print this one-page flyer (PDF).
MTI's Workplace Mediator Certification Course isn't just for beginners. Current mediators may consider retooling for the more lucrative workplace mediation marketplace. You won't be sitting through familiar content — view the daily agenda and topic outline. Indeed, MTI's course may be considered an advanced course for current mediators.
Each public offering of the 5-day Mediator Certification Course (view calendar) includes registration options for 1-day, 2-day, and 3-day courses contained within it. See descriptions of all eight course options with pricing. Use our flexible installment payment plan.
All course options are also available for in-house client-site delivery for as few as three persons. See more information about establishing or developing your internal mediation program.
MTI will bring the training to you. Form a group of three to twelve people. Save money, avoid travel. More information.
Graduates of MTI's Course may be licensed to deliver the training (Course F) for others within their employing organization. Contact MTI for more information.
The Workplace Mediator Certification Course equips a wide range of professionals to expertly resolve conflicts with and between employees that otherwise may escalate into costly formal disputes — grievances, EEO complaints, litigation. Unlike other mediator training programs, MTI's course produces a demonstrable return-on-investment.
US News and World Report named mediation one of the best careers for 2009, commenting about its potential even in an economic downturn — full article
"Dealing effectively with conflict in the workplace has become a critical function in public and private organizations. Employers and employees are increasingly turning towards mediation to avoid costly and time-consuming litigation. Mediation has been successfully applied to many types of workplace disputes, including grievances, EEO complaints, superior / subordinate problems, and peer conflicts."
~ US Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service, November 2006
"Mediation consists of the functions of an impartial third party in assisting two or more disputing parties to reach a self-determined and mutually acceptable solution to a problem that requires the consent of the parties to become actionable."
~ Definition of mediation coined by Daniel Dana, PhD,
Founder of the Mediation Training Institute International
Corporations, government agencies, and institutions of all kinds and sizes are discovering the immense benefits of using mediation instead of adversarial methods of resolving workplace conflicts. The financial cost of unresolved conflict is high — and it is measurable — and takes an enormous toll on organizations. Costs associated with litigation, grievances, and other complaint processes can be significantly reduced by early use of mediation, which prevents escalation of workplace conflicts to formal disputes. Calculate the return on investment in mediation training.
Mediation not only provides a mechanism for early resolution of many problems; it will help increase productivity, save time and money, create a safer and more harmonious workplace, and promote improved day-to-day relationships.
MTI's Mediator Certification Course is also available for in-house implementation as an option within The MTI Training System: A Cafeteria Plan for Strategic Management of Organizational Conflict — à la carte, or as an integrated part of a comprehensive approach to cutting the hidden costs of preventable conflict.
Other organizations offer mediator training. Why select MTI's Mediator Certification Course?
- Workplace focus. MTI focuses exclusively on resolving organizational and workplace conflicts, leaving training of mediators for divorce, community, judicial, environmental, and other non-workplace disputes to other providers. We serve the unique needs of businesses, government agencies, and other organizations. Be advised that methods for mediating workplace conflicts are distinctly different from those for other settings.
- Practical, proven method. The content and design of this course were developed by MTI founder Dr Dan Dana, drawing upon his 35-year career as a practitioner, author, scholar, and educator dedicated to workplace conflict resolution — an authentic mediation pioneer who is recognized worldwide. The result is a supremely practical and original approach that is unlike any other mediation course you may have experienced.
- Potential earnings as a workplace mediator. Many independent mediators who work in the judicial and community sectors have difficulty earning reasonable compensation. Why should you retool for the workplace? The bottom-line value of conflict resolution in organizations is demonstrable, thereby assuring business executives that hiring competent mediators to resolve costly workplace disputes promises a compelling return on investment.
- Marketing support for self-employed mediators. MTI's graduates receive exceptional marketing support, including 1) free unlimited use of the Dana Measure of Financial Cost of Organizational Conflict and other assessment instruments for their organizational clients, 2) PowerPoint-supported informational presentations for marketing and practice development, and 3) a personal biopage on this website (see mediator directory), which receives over 10,000 page views daily owing to its top placement on Google, Yahoo!, and other search engines click here for today's results. Free public access to the assessment instruments is provided at the Conflict Management Toolbox.
- Instructional design. The comprehensive daily agenda reflects the most expertly designed learning methodology in the field, built upon proven principles of adult skill acquisition and tested over years of application.
- Qualified trainers. All Mediator Certification Course instructors have been personally trained by Dr. Dana and have met MTI's standards of competency and professionalism.
- Searchable directory. Graduates of MTI's course who wish to make their services as a professional mediator known to the public may have their qualifications and contact information included in MTI's searchable directory.
- "Certified by MTI" Seal. Graduates may place this seal on their websites signifying their certification.
- Practical mediation model. Transformative? Facilitative? Problem-solving? Read this summary of MTI's practical mediation model.
- Organizational assessment instruments. Graduates of MTI's course receive unlimited access to these on-line assessment tools:
The Dana Measure of Financial Cost of Organizational Conflict, an on-line calculator of the financial cost of workplace conflicts.
The Dana Survey of Conflict Management Strategies, an on-line analysis of the forms of conflict that are currently imbedded in the culture of your organization.
The general public may access these instruments via the Conflict Management Toolbox. They may be used by course graduates via password-controlled access for a variety of purposes, including benchmarking/reassessment and comparative analysis of organizational units.
- Professional Mediators Monthly Online Conferences. A place in cyberspace for mediators to discuss professional issues with colleagues. Details here
- CEU's. MTI's course has been approved for continuing education credits by the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) and by the Employee Assistance Professionals Association (EAPA). See complete details. These endorsements by leading professional associations in the field of human resources lend credibility and legitimacy to your certification by MTI as a workplace mediator.
- Locations. MTI's open-enrollment courses are conducted at executive-quality venues where participants can choose to be productive during non-training hours, or can simply relax in comfort.
Mediator Certification is designed for:
- Persons whose job responsibilities include management of workplace conflict: Managers, HR and personnel professionals, employee and labor relations specialists, EEO counselors and officers, worker compensation specialists, union officials and leaders, and others whose collateral duties include handling "people problems" in their organizations
- Current mediators who wish to sharpen their skills (note that workplace mediation requires use of distinctly different methods than those suitable for judicial, community, and other kinds of disputes)
- Organization development (OD) consultants, management consultants, coaches and counselors, facilitators
- Attorneys and other legal professionals (Continuing Legal Education)
- Anyone who simply wants to improve their personal communication, conflict management, and facilitations skills.
Each person who completes the course receives a certificate suitable for framing from the Mediation Training Institute International.
There are no specific academic or educational prerequisites. Attending the Mediator Certification Course should not be considered a substitute for psychological services. Individuals who are under regular psychiatric or psychotherapeutic care and whose social functioning is currently impaired are encouraged to consider more suitable alternatives.
| Continuing Education Units
See current continuing education approvals for MTI's courses.
Disclaimer required by HRCI: "The use of this seal is not an endorsement by the HR Certification Institute of the quality of the program. It means that this program has met the HR Certification Institute's criteria to be pre-approved for recertification credit."
We have attempted to anticipate every question and have provided answers on this website (see "Course Info" navigation panel on the left side of this page. However, if you do not find the answer you are looking for, . . .
For registration-related questions (e.g., "Is there still room in the class," etc.) that are not answered on this website, you may contact MTI's Registrar Karin Houck by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (913) 338-1113 or toll-free at (877) 338-1113.
For questions regarding training an in-house expert mediator panel within your company, send email to email@example.com or call (913) 432-2888 or toll-free (800) DR CONFLICT (372-6635).
For other questions that are unrelated to the Mediator Certification Course or to request in-house training, send e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (913) 432-2888 or (888) 222-3271 (toll-free).
Summary of toll-free numbers:
Call (877) 338-1113 for registration-related questions about the Mediator Certification Course.
Call (800) 372-6635 for other questions related to the Mediator Certification Course.
Call (888) 222-3271 for inquiries that are not related to the Mediator Certification Course.
To avoid delay in getting your questions answered, please direct your call to the appropriate person.
Other contact points.