Training without Traveling — See also Online Certification for Managers and Professionals
Online Trainer Certification
"When it doesn't make sense to fly there"
Equivalent to Course C in MTI's instructor-led courses
APPLY HERE after reading the remainder of this page ...
The preferable way to become a Certified Trainer of Managing Workplace Conflict is to attend a scheduled instructor-led two-day Certification Course — online training rarely matches the dynamic, enriched educational experience of learning alongside cohorts guided by an expert classroom instructor. View current dates and cities.
However, we recognize that your schedule may conflict with MTI's calendar of offerings. Or, the time and expense of traveling to an open-enrollment certification event may make attendance impractical.
For your convenience, MTI offers Trainer Certification online while preserving the professional standards and competency outcomes produced by attending a Certification Course. This option is available to both internal (employed) and external (consultant) professionals who already possess skills and experience in delivering training seminars and workshops.
Online Trainer Certification is especially appropriate for training professionals located outside North America, for whom the cost and inconvenience of international travel to an instructor-led course may be prohibitive.
Upon completion of the online certification program, Certified Trainers are prepared to customize and effectively deliver the modular seminars How to Mediate Employee Conflict and How to Resolve Conflict with Others in a classroom setting, as well as to facilitate learning via computer-based training for internal and external clients.
APPLY HERE after reading the remainder of this page ... if you are not an experienced trainer, or do not wish to deliver instructor-led classroom training to others, you may consider online certification for managers and professionals.
Step 1: Application and Document Review
Step 2: Establish Your Knowledge Base
- Complete this brief online application form. You will be notified automatically upon completion of your application, and you may return to this page.
- Once your application is confirmed, send an email to email@example.com containing a goal statement (why you are interested in becoming an MTI Certified Trainer) accompanied by your resumè with detailed work history. Internal applicants should include positions of employment that involve responsibility for training of others. External applicants should include evidence of having delivered classroom training for clients.
- Upon completion of successful document review, you will receive an acknowledgement by email containing links to the Certified Trainer Licensing Agreement and the password to enter the Certified Trainer Support Area of MTI's website.
- Unless previous voice conversations have accomplished this purpose, a telephone interview with an MTI representative will be scheduled to discuss your interests, goals, and qualifications, and to answer your questions about MTI's trainer certification.
- Upon approval of your application, you will receive an official Letter of Acceptance.
- Make payment by check or major credit card to MTI's Registrar ($995, which is equivalent to the early registration fee for Certification Courses) — certain discounts may apply. Feel free to take advantage of MTI's installment payment option. Please note: Refunds cannot be accommodated after materials are shipped.
- Deliver to MTI a signed copy of the Certified Trainer Licensing Agreement.
- You will receive orientation and any personalized assistance you may need in completing the procedures listed below.
- You will be introduced to your Online Learning Leader who will provide time-limited support in developing your competencies as a trainer of managing workplace conflict.
Step 3: Practicum
The following materials will be shipped to you at the address you entered on the registration form. (There is no cost for standard UPS delivery within the United States — expedited or international shipping incurs additional cost.)
Sourcebook: Managing Differences, by Dan Dana (MTI Publications)
Downloadable audio edition of Managing Differences — listen to Introduction and Chapter 1 now (free to the public)
Sourcebook: Conflict Resolution, by Dan Dana (McGraw-Hill)
Computer-based course: Managing Workplace Conflict (CD-based learning with web-based testing), which includes eleven video segments demonstrating how to perform Managerial Mediation and Self Mediation.
One set of each seminar workbook: Module 1: Necessary Knowledge, Module 2: Successful Conflict Conversations, Module 3: Third-Party Resolutions. These workbooks are designed to serve as learner resources in instructor-led seminars, and may be used for reference and enhancement of the online training program.
Leader Guide containing flexible presentation formats
PowerPoint presentations — preview
Coaching video — view coaching video launch pad, which you may use for refreshing your skills and for coaching and mentoring others.
Quick-reference cards: Managerial Mediation, Self Mediation, Preventive Mediation
CD containing PowerPoint presentation: "Weaving Mediation into the Fabric of Organizations" — A Strategic Approach to Conflict Management, consisting of 90 slides and an audio recording of Dr. Dana's delivery of the presentation to aid in preparing your own customized presentation from 30 minutes to three hours.
Pre-paid order form for ten sets of participant materials ($950 value per Network Price List), each set consisting of: Module 1 Workbook: Necessary Knowledge, Module 2 Workbook: Successful Conflict Conversations, Module 3 Workbook: Third-party Resolutions; Quick-reference cards: Managerial Mediation, Self Mediation, Preventive Mediation; Managing Differences sourcebook. You may request delivery of the pre-paid materials at any time, typically near the date of your first presentation (see Step 3: Practicum below).
- Complete the "Managing Differences Learning Test" online. This challenging 20-item multiple-choice test is based entirely upon the contents of the Managing Differences sourcebook. A minimum of 50% correct is required for certification; the test may be re-taken any number of times until the 50% criterion is met. Achievement of 90% correct is awarded with the "Subject Matter Expert" designation.
- Write a two-page review of the Conflict Resolution sourcebook. A structure will be provided for this written review.
- Complete the computer based course, with web-based testing. Achievement of 100% correct on each of three tests is required; tests may be re-taken any number of times to reach this criterion.
- Complete MTI's online conflict assessment instruments: The Dana Measure of Financial Cost of Organizational Conflict and the Dana Survey of Conflict Management Strategies. A special user name and password will be sent to you, as well as an Interpretive Guide to assist in understanding your results. You will have unlimited use of these instruments to perform assessments for your clients.
You will receive a complimentary registration for each of the four instructional webinars offered by MTI Webiversity, personally conducted by Dr. Dana, which you may redeem for any date on which at least one regular paid registrant is also participating.
- Upon completion of a thorough examination of the Leader's Guide, write a two-page structured critique of the instructional design: Select one element of the instructional design that you think is most effective in accomplishing its intended learning objective, and another that you think is least effective, and explain your reasoning for both.
- Informally practice the role-plays with two colleagues or friends. Be sure to play each of the roles, including the Initiator (Module 2: Self Mediation) and the Mediator (Module 3: Managerial Mediation). Include both giving and receiving feedback, using the feedback procedure contained in the Instructor Guide.
You may request a brief (20-minute) telecoaching session with your Online Learning Leader in preparation for these practice sessions, and a similar post-practice debriefing session. The intent of coaching is to enhance your effectiveness in applying your skills; it is not for evaluative purposes.
- Review the Certified Trainer Support Area on the MTI website, emphasizing the "Administrative" and "Presentations" sections. External training consultants may also wish to review the "Marketing" and "Opportunities" sections to ensure they receive full financial benefit of MTI's certification.
Step 4: Certification
- Using the participant materials received in Step 2, deliver the training to at least nine individuals in classroom format. Deliver participant evaluations to MTI for review.
- A brief (20-minute) pre-seminar coaching session will be held to answer any final questions you may have about delivery, followed by a similar post-seminar session to review your experience of the presentation. The intent of coaching is to enhance your effectiveness in delivering the training; it is not for evaluative purposes.
- Your certificate reading "Certified Trainer of Managing Workplace Conflict" (suitable for framing) will be delivered to you upon fax receipt of a signed copy of the Certified Trainer Licensing Agreement, which is available for your review on request prior to registration.
- You will be reminded to complete the start-up tasks and enter your current contact information in the Certified Trainer Records Portal.
- You will be eligible to attend future instructor-led Certification Courses as a "refresher" (Track 4 Registration).
- External Certified Trainers (and internals who wish to do so) qualify to receive referrals and subcontracting opportunities with MTI.
- Online Trainer Certification is recognized as equivalent to attendance as a "Track 1" registrant at an instructor-led Certification Course.